Japan is an island nation that sits in the Pacific Ocean on the east coast of Asia. It shares borders with several bodies of water including the Seas of Japan, Okhotsk and East China. Its closest neighbors are Taiwan, North and South Korea, China and Russia. It consists of four large islands and 6,852 (yes, 6,852!) total islands.

If you decide to pack your bags and study abroad in Japan with the 130 million locals of Japan, you’ll need to secure a passport, student visa and, if you decide to work, a work visa. Contact the Japanese consulate or embassy at least six months before you leave for Japan to make sure you have your documentation in order. Working or interning while you study abroad in Japan can allow you to collect Japanese Yen (the colorful currency of Japan) meet new people, and discover how video games, hybrid vehicles, and components of iPods are made. Studying abroad in Japan is a learning experience for any student; especially those studying science, technology, finance or industrial design are of interest to you. Japan is amongst the most technologically advanced in the world and its manufacturing of electronics, appliances and motor vehicles is quickly changing the world. It is home to companies like Nintendo and Toyota and is leading the world in scientific and technological research. Its stock exchange and Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency are amongst the most prestigious and aggressive in the world. The Temple University, Japan Campus, study abroad program offers courses in a wide variety of disciplines such as art, art history, Asian studies, economics, film and media arts, history, international business studies, Japanese, political science.


Document Checklist for Study Abroad

Passport photo

Photocopy of valid passport

Photocopy of valid visa

Personal ID card

Health certificate

Certification of no criminal record

Japanese / English language proficiency certificate

Letter of guarantee (parent or legal guardian of student signs a declaration by which he/she assumes responsibility for the student to abide rules and regulations of China and of the university)

Proof that you can support your studies in China

Certificate/diploma from last graduated school

Academic transcript from last graduated school

More documents may be required, depending on each school’s request.

More specifically the following documents are important:

1) Application form (university-specific form)

2) Certificate of upper secondary school graduation (or anticipated graduation

3) Upper secondary school transcript

4) Letter of recommendation from the principal or a teacher from the originating upper secondary school

5) Certificate of proficiency in Japanese or English

6) Others Documents for submission vary by school, and some schools require translations in Japanese or English. The best thing to do is inquire directly to the relevant school for details